Planked Tuna with Mashed Potatoes
Since planks are made of wood they will catch fire. Please use caution and follow these tips when planking. Always use water soaked planks before grilling. Use untreated western red cedar planks. Have a fire extinguisher at the ready. Never leave your grill when planking. Periodically check that the plank is not on fire. In the event of flames, reduce burner temperature, open lid, douse the fire with a squeeze bottle of water, close lid and continue planking. Be aware of the wind direction when planking. Never open grill lid into the wind. Stand with your back to the wind when opening the grill to avoid the smoke from getting in your eyes. Do not use planks more than once. Allow planks to fully cool before discarding. Use a large bucket of cold water to cool the planks after cooking.
|2 x 8 oz||tuna steaks|
|1 tbsp. + 1 tbsp.||King of the Q Smoke Roasted Garlic oil or your favorite seasoned oil|
|1 tbsp.||King of the Q Amazing Steak Spice or your favorite steak spice|
|4 cups||day old mashed potatoes, cold|
|4 large||scallops, cut in half lengthways into medallions|
|2||green onions, thinly sliced on the bias|
|2 tbsp.||melted butter|
|1||1-inch thick x 12-inch long x 8-10 inches wide untreated cedar plank, soaked in cold water for at least 1 hour|
1. Preheat grill to high (about 550°F).
2. Brush tuna steaks with 1 tbsp. oil and season with Amazing Steak Spice, gently pressing the spices into the fish to adhere.
3. Place seasoned tuna steaks on grill and sear for about 15-30 seconds on one side. Remove tuna from grill and place centered onto plank, raw side down.
4. Reduce grill temperature to medium-high (about 450°-500°F).
5. Pack cold mashed potatoes around tuna steaks, creating a tight wall around the tuna and leaving the tuna exposed in the middle.
6. Shingle scallops over tuna, sprinkle with green onions and drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp. of oil.
7. Place plank in grill, close lid and grill-bake for 15 to 20 minutes, checking periodically to insure plank is not on fire and fish and potatoes are golden brown but not burning.
8. Remove plank from grill, brush potatoes with melted butter and serve immediately with extra butter for dipping.